Eighteen Occupy Cal protesters detained Friday morning

Related Media

At around 5:30 a.m. Friday, UCPD officers detained 18 Occupy Cal protesters at their encampment outside of Doe Library, campus officials said.

The protesters have not yet decided upon a future course of action in the aftermath of the detainments. Seven student and 11 nonstudent protesters were told that “camping and lodging on campus is against university policy and state law” and left peacefully after being detained and identified by the police, according to UCPD Lt. Marc DeCoulode. None were cited or arrested, he said.

Eleven of the protesters were given a stay-away order for seven days, and 10 of the encampment’s 13 tents are currently in police custody, according to Claire Holmes, campus associate vice chancellor for public affairs.

According to DeCoulode, campus administrators ordered the police action after Occupy protesters did not respond to UCPD’s daily warnings that they would be cited if they did not leave. The protesters originally began the encampment Feb. 9 on the steps outside of Sproul Hall and subsequently moved to the steps outside of Doe Library Tuesday.

“The reason we protest in the form of an encampment is because it provides a safe space where dialogue and the marriage of ideas can occur,” said UC Berkeley senior Navid Shaghagi.

Occupy Cal protesters met on the steps outside of Sproul Hall at 2 p.m. Friday to regroup and discuss their course of action moving forward. While continued encampment was discussed, a decision was not reached, said UC Berkeley senior Frank Luna.

According to Holmes, while the campus administration’s approach to responding to campus protests has evolved, there is no policy in place that explicitly dictates how to manage them. Since the Nov. 9 protest events, two encampments at UC Berkeley — the encampment that dispersed Friday morning and one that took place inside the Anthropology Library — have not involved arrests.

“No two protests are alike, so we are always looking to respond to context specific protests or demonstrations and work to respond in a way that is appropriate to the seriousness of the disruption,” Holmes said in an email.

She added that administrators led by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost George Breslauer and Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance John Wilton have been brought together to form a protest management group, which has met on an ad hoc basis since early January.

Staff writer Christopher Yee contributed to this report.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that 17 protesters were detained. In fact, 18 were detained.