State of the Art: Redball, Manifest Destiny!, HANDSTYLE

Kurt Perschke/Courtesy

Abroad: RedBall Project

Artist Kurt Perschke invites you to interact, touch and play with his public sculpture, a 15 foot 250 pound blowup ball. Since his first project in St Louis, he has been installing the same vinyl red ball in cities worldwide such as Abu Dhabi, Taipei and Barcelona. It will now be in Perth, Australia until March 3rd.

US:  “The Ungovernables” at the New Museum, NYC

The New Museum in New York City just opened a really cool exhibit called “The Ungovernables.”  Featuring works from artists all born between the mid-1970s and mid-1980s, the exhibit brings together the work of new, up-and-coming artists as they explore issues and movements important to our generation.

Librado Romero/Courtesy

San Francisco: Manifest Destiny!

Constructed as an outgrowth from the side of Hotel des Arts, a rustic wooden cabin sits in one of the only unclaimed spots left in downtown San Francisco. Using authentic style and materials from 19th century architecture, the cabin plays with the relationship between new settlement and established cities. “Manifest Destiny!” was created by artist Mark Reigelman, architect Jenny Chapman and engineer Paul Endres.

Jenny Chapman/Courtesy

East Bay: HANDSTYLE

On Friday from 7-10pm, head to Ear Peace Records (close to Ashby BART station) to check out Endless Canvas’s event, HANDSTYLE. Culminating their Best Handstyle Contest, the site is putting up an art show for street calligraphy (aka “writing your name on shit”). Don’t blow up the spot.

Endless Canvas/Courtesy

Campus Area: Cal makes a mistake

Through loopholes, mishaps, incompetence or some combination of the three, UC Berkeley sold a piece of art, worth over a million dollars, for a mere $150 plus tax. The work, a 22-foot redwood relief panel by an African American sculptor was eventually acquired by Huntington Library in San Marino, CA. On Monday, The New York Times reported on this recent discovery.

Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens/Courtesy