Agenda for Feb. 22 ASUC Senate meeting

The ASUC Senate will hold its fifth meeting of the semester Wednesday night, which will possibly include a vote on a bill opposing Proposition 8 and the introduction of several bills that suggest making amendments to the ASUC bylaws.

The ASUC Standing Committee on University and External Affairs passed a bill Tuesday night in opposition to Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage in California. The bill follows a Feb. 7 U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals decision that the proposition is unconstitutional. The ASUC bill can now be voted on during the senate meeting tonight.

Additionally, a bill to create an ASUC investment committee to handle finances will also be introduced. According to the bill — authored by CalSERVE Senator Andrew Albright — the ASUC currently has no formal investment policy. The bill moves to amend the bylaws to form the committee.

Another bill to amend the bylaws will also be introduced at the senate meeting, which aims to improve the transition process between ASUC elected officials and to protect institutional history. If passed, the bill would change the wording of the ASUC bylaws to make changes regarding officer training.

Per usual process, the new bills will be sent to senate committees — which will meet over the next week — for consideration before heading to the senate as a whole.

Courtney Moulds covers student government.