Berkeley High student shot on way to school

A 17-year-old Berkeley High School student was shot on the way to school by a gunman on a bicycle around 8:15 a.m. Thursday.

The boy was shot near the intersection of Lowell and Market streets in North Oakland, the Oakland Tribune reports.

The student is currently stable, according to an email sent out Thursday afternoon by Berkeley High School principal Pasquale Scuderi. He is being treated at Highland General Hospital in Oakland and was in critical condition upon entering the hospital, according to Berkeley Unified School District spokesperson Mark Coplan.

“We can presently report that our student is out of surgery and is stable and resting,” Scuderi said in the email. “We are cautiously optimistic about the outcome of this particular situation, but we are again deeply saddened by the reminder of how often and how brutally gun violence continues to impact young people in our community and in many communities across the country.”

There is currently no known motive, and no suspects have been arrested, according to the Tribune.

In an email sent earlier in the afternoon Thursday, Scuderi said that although it seems there is no “immediate threat to the campus or our general student body,” the school will heighten its safety and security protocols.

“Our hearts and thoughts are with our young man, and we will communicate what we can as more information becomes available,” Scuderi said in the email.

View Shooting of BHS student in a larger map