BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Cal pitchers dominate in low-scoring affair

FEBRUARY 25, 2012

The Cal baseball team got back to its winning ways Saturday night at Blair Field, beating Long Beach State 2-1 in extra innings.

In the top of the tenth, designated hitter Vince Bruno (2-for-5, one run scored on the day) led off with a triple. Center fielder Chad Bunting then brought him home with a sacrifice fly for the winning run.

Cal (4-1) rode a pair of right arms to the victory. Starter Matt Flemer went seven strong innings, giving up just two hits and one unearned run, and Logan Scott (2-0) pitched three near-perfect frames in relief for the win.

The Bears banged out nine hits but struggled to bring runners home, stranding nine runners on base.

But Cal wasn’t forced to pay for its profligacy, as its pitchers dominated the game. Long Beach State mustered just three hits against Flemer and Scott, who combined to strike out six Dirtbags.

The Cal defense committed two errors — one leading to Long Beach State’s only run — but came up clutch when needed. Third baseman Mitch Delfino gunned down a Dirtbag at the plate in the fifth inning to preserve a scoreless tie.

Long Beach State scored the first run in the game in the sixth inning. Cal countered with a run of its own in the seventh — Delfino led off with a double and scored on left fielder Darrel Matthews’ single — before winning in the tenth.

Cal played most of the game without head coach David Esquer, who was ejected in the fourth inning after right fielder Danny Oh was called out on strikes.

The teams meet for the series finale Sunday at 1 p.m.

Contact Jordan Bach-Lombardo at 

FEBRUARY 25, 2012