This Week in Sound: Martial Arts Beats and Acoustic Earth Science

It’s a bit quiet this week in music. Fortunately, not all is lost, for there are still a few kick-ass CDs — especially for you hip-hop fans — and concerts to check out:

Planet Asia’s latest album Black Belt Theatre comes out tomorrow, continuing the 15-year career of the SF rapper. Yes, Asia was born in Fresno and has worked in LA as well, but he got his start here in the Bay, and has been an integral part of the underground rap scene. Definitely worth checking out this veteran MC’s latest album. Or if you’re unsure read my full review (end shameless self-plug).

Virgin/Courtesy

Another big release this week comes from the NY duo Chiddy Bang, with their debut studio album Breakfast.The sample-heavy duo has moved forward from their “Opposite of Adults” days and into what they like to call “future-space rap.” You’ve probably already heard the singles “Ray Charles” and “Mind your Manners,” but the meat of the album is within the non-singles. Ja Rule also has an album coming out tomorrow as well. Pain is Love 2 will be the artist’s first studio album in eight years, check out David Getman’s review of it.

Local Limelight:

Victoria Smith/Courtesy

This week’s band is the electric-soul trio known as Geographer. The band got their start in San Francisco, and have been quickly gaining fame. Known for vocalist Mike Deni’s haunting croons and Nathan Blaz’s creativity on the electric cello, the group radiates a soothing spirit that contrasts beautifully with their technological instruments. Here’s “Kites” from their last album, Animal Shapes:

If you want to hear more, unfortunately their show this Saturday at the Independent is sold-out. But don’t worry, they’re playing a free — repeat free — acoustic show at SF’s Amoeba Music tomorrow at 6 to celebrate the release of their new album Myth, also being released the same day. If you liked what you heard, then how can you turn down free music from them?