Summer Exhibitions Preview: “The Cult of Beauty”

Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco/Courtesy
John Spencer Stanhope, "Love and the Maiden," 1877

If the days are starting to feel a little longer, the sun a little brighter and the grass a little greener, it’s not just your eyes getting used to the outside world post-midterm exams, it’s also a sure sign that summer is on its way. This means that some of the big museums in the city are preparing their summer exhibitions. Like the summer blockbusters down at the local multiplex, summer exhibitions try to throw together as many elements that a large amount of people will enjoy in the hope that a museum can make as much money as possible to fund other, perhaps more adventurous work throughout the rest of the year.

Over the next few blog posts, I’m going to preview what I’m most excited about in summer exhibitions, starting with one that has already opened, “The Cult of Beauty: Victorian Avant Garde 1860 -1900,” at the Legion of Honor Fine Arts Museum in San Francisco’s Lincoln Park. Curated in cooperation with the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and having come to the Bay via the Musee d’Orsay in Paris, the Cult of Beauty exhibition boats nearly as much pedigree as the artists it features, containing works by painters Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Edward Burne-Jones and designer William Morris. The exhibition is intended to lyrically explore the Pre-Raphaelite and aesthetic movements that turned into something of a consumerist craze in late Victorian Britain

This is the only North American destination of this exhibition, and it will be complimented by a full calendar of lectures and musical events, the schedule for which can be found on the Legion of Honor calendar.