Three men injured in West Berkeley shooting

Three men were injured Sunday in an early morning shooting in West Berkeley, according to police.

At around 12:51 a.m. Sunday, the Berkeley Police Department received multiple reports about gunshots heard around 7th and Addison streets, according to press release from Sgt. Mary Kusmiss sent out Monday afternoon.

According to Kusmiss, a group of five people were standing outside a house on the 2100 block of 7th Street when two suspects approached the group on foot. At least one suspect then allegedly fired at the group and fled on foot, possibly to a waiting vehicle, according to Kusmiss.

The victims also fled on foot and were found by Berkeley Police Department officers at Bancroft Way and 6th Street, where they were treated for their wounds, according to Berkeley Police Department Lt. Randolph Files. Kusmiss said in the release that all three of the male victims sustained gunshot wounds, none of which were determined to be life-threatening.

“BPD Patrol officers immediately began investigating and conductimg area checks for the suspect(s) but were not able to locate any,” reads the release.

Files said multiple gunshots were fired.

Andy Dale, who has been a resident of the neighborhood for 17 years, said this is second shooting on the block that he can remember.

“Generally, I love this neighborhood but it occasionally misbehaves,” he said.

Dale said throughout the years the block has seen a few “less than ideal” neighbors and a couple of drug deals.

“The neighborhood is great, but this shit happens,” he said. “We have a really strong community and I can trust that people will look after each other.”

Sunday’s shooting comes less than two days after a shooting in West Berkeley on Friday in which three people were also injured.

Police do not know whether the two incidents are related, but is investigating that possibility, according to Kusmiss.

View Shooting 3.4.12 in a larger map

Soumya Karlamangla is the city news editor.