BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 28, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Onstage: Theater Benefit Will Commemorate Earthquakes in Japan

MARCH 08, 2012

This upcoming Sunday, March 11 marks the first anniversary of the devastating Tohoku earthquake in Japan. A year ago, the national disaster had sparked a massive global effort to aid those whose lives and homes have been damaged by the earthquake and ensuing nuclear accidents. To continue that spirit of good will, the American Conservatory Theater (and 65 other theaters across the nation) will be presenting “Shinsai” (meaning “great quake” in Japanese) to raise funds for the Japanese theater community affected by the earthquakes.

The night will consist of both American and Japanese artists sampling their work and songs. The list of possible contributing artists is pretty exciting, including Edward Albee (the playwright for “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”), Philip Kan Gotanda (acclaimed playwright and visiting faculty at UC Berkeley’s Theater, Dance and Performance Studies department), and the illustrious Stephen Sondheim. If you’re looking for a night of good theater from the best, and a great cause to support, I recommend you attend. All proceeds will go to the Japanese Playwrights Association.

Contact Deanne Chen at 

MARCH 08, 2012