Dwight Way apartment building to be demolished after fire

Rashad Sisemore/Staff
The fire at 2227 Dwight Way ripped through all three floors, causing the roof to collapse.

Related Media

Following a fire that broke out early Thursday morning, a Berkeley apartment building at 2227 Dwight Way is set to be demolished.

The six-unit apartment building, located south of the UC Berkeley campus, was home to about 10 residents before the fire ravaged through its three floors and caused the roof to collapse. Marcelle Mizrahi, an authorized agent at Everest Properties — which manages the apartment building — said the agency is currently waiting for a permit to take the front of the building down, and will eventually demolish the entire structure.

According to Gil Dong, deputy fire chief for Berkeley Fire Department, the owner of Everest Properties got a permit Friday from the city of Berkeley for a structural engineer and a construction crew to complete the removal of the back wall and staircase, making it more structurally stable.

Because the burned building was at risk of collapse, tenants of the surrounding buildings were only being let in for 10-minute intervals last week. However, Dong said those in the surrounding buildings have been let back in and that the fire department has been “successful in getting tenants back into the adjacent buildings.”

The demolition should not affect the apartment buildings next to it, according to Mizrahi.

A preliminary investigation determined that the fire was started accidentally in a water-heater closet in the building.