BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 02, 2022

ASUC Senate Agenda for March 14

MARCH 14, 2012

Bills introduced at Wednesday night’s ASUC Senate meeting will include opposition to criminal charges filed against Nov. 9 Occupy Cal protesters, support legislation that funds middle-class students and the endorsement of the creation of a student majority district in the city, among other initiatives.

Bills that have already passed through a senate committee Monday night — which would temporarily freeze student group funding, alter election polling bylaws and allocate $8,853 for Dance Marathon — have the opportunity to be discussed at the meeting.

Cooperative Movement Senator Elliot Goldstein will introduce the bill which states that the ASUC condemns all criminal charges filed against Nov. 9 protesters and calls for Chancellor Robert Birgeneau to ask that the charges be dropped before the scheduled arraignments.

Another bill asks the senate to support a plan introduced Feb. 8 by state Assembly Speaker John Perez, D-Los Angeles that would slash tuition and fees for students whose families make less than $150,000 a year by two-thirds.

A bill will also support a UC systemwide committee called UNITE in the works by UC Student Regent Alfredo Mireles and Student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein, which would seek to improve campus climate for students of color and underrepresented communities.

“In the last 18 months, students of color and students from underrepresented communities have lived through multiple events that alienate them from their campus community, make them feel unwelcome, and make it harder for them to succeed as a UC student,” the bill states.

The meeting will also include a bill endorsing the creation of a student majority district in the city of Berkeley. The ASUC would support re-drawing the district lines in the city to allow for a more proportional representation of students.

External Affairs Vice President Joey Freeman — one of the bill’s authors — has consistently supported redistricting efforts and has proposed to change the city’s charter to allow for a student majority district.

Finally, the bill supporting the replenishment of the Senate Contingency Fund — which funds ASUC-sponsored student organizations —motions to allocate $24,000 to the fund, which is regularly refilled throughout the year.

Per usual process, the new bills will be sent to senate committees for consideration before heading to the senate as a whole.

Contact Courtney Moulds at 

MARCH 16, 2012