Top campus administrator Shelton Waggener to leave UC Berkeley

Shelton Waggener

Shelton Waggener, associate vice chancellor for information technology and chief information officer, will leave his position at UC Berkeley at the end of April for a position at a nonprofit organization, campus officials announced in an email Thursday.

Waggener, who joined the campus community in 2003 as director of central computing in Information Systems and Technology, will leave campus to serve as senior vice president of Internet2, a national education networking and technology services provider. He has overseen several significant changes in campus technology, including the shift from CalMail to Google email services and the negotiation of licensing deals with software companies like Adobe.

“Shel has made long-lasting contributions to UC Berkeley as well as to the UC system,” states the email, sent by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost George Breslauer and Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance John Wilton. “Shel’s intellect, commitment and passion for UC Berkeley will be greatly missed.”

His 2010 salary totaled $205,389.96, according to a database of public employee salaries on The Sacramento Bee’s website.

Waggener — who also served as campus head of information systems and technology — was at the forefront of several campus technological advancements and ideas over the course of his tenure, the email states. He played a critical role in the implementation of the Operational Excellence information technology initiative — which has involved providing software licenses for Adobe and Microsoft software to the campus, among other projects — and the Campuswide Information Technology Strategic Plan, which works to identify trends and related information technology needs for the campus, according to the plan’s website.

Waggener said that beyond making campus technological improvements, he always enjoyed seeing groups of students come together to solve real-world problems with technology. He established the campus Student Technology Council, which coordinates efforts such as increasing the use of electronic course materials.

“Technology isn’t just about something on campus,” Waggener said. “It’s about supporting students and staff to change the world. Recognizing the power of teams is how you make progress.”

Waggener said his new position at Internet2 — a Michigan-based member-owned company that supports research universities — will allow him to apply what he has learned and accomplished on campus in order to “impact higher education as a whole.”

He will “lead (the organization’s) pursuit of emerging cloud and advanced services above the network involving demand aggregation and brokering with campus and commercial providers,” according to a Thursday announcement from the organization.

Haas School of Business Chief Information Officer Lyle Nevels will serve as interim associate vice chancellor and chief information officer beginning May 1 while the campus conducts a national search for a permanent replacement, the email states.

“I have had the pleasure of working with Shel on a number of strategic initiatives over the past couple years,” Nevels said in an email. “His leadership and direction has been invaluable to the campus and to me personally. I look forward to continuing on the path that he has set forth and I wish him well!”

Waggener said that, despite leaving his position on campus, he “will always be supporting Cal.”

“I will be a Golden Bear for many years to come,” Waggener said. “I even hope to be back in time for the opening of the new stadium.”

Geena Cova covers academics and administration.