BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Series of auto burglaries reported in UC Berkeley parking lot

MARCH 22, 2012

Police have noticed what they are calling a “series” of auto burglaries in the Lawrence Hall of Science parking lot on the UC Berkeley campus in recent months.

UCPD spokesperson Lt. Eric Tejada said the department is investigating whether the burglaries are related and has stepped up patrols in the area.

In a UCPD crime alert released Wednesday, the department recommends individuals discourage “would-be criminal from committing auto burglaries” by adhering to following suggestions:

• Do not leave valuable items visible in your car.
  • Close all windows and lock all doors before leaving your vehicle.
  • Park in well-lit, heavily populated areas.
  • Trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, find another place to park.
  • Avoid parking next to occupied vehicles.
  • Be aware of your surroundings.
  • Make a copy of your registration and insurance, and keep them in your wallet or purse. Then remove all forms of identification from your vehicle. Anyone with permission to drive your vehicle should also have a copy of the registration and insurance with them to furnish to the police if necessary.
  • Take note of emergency/pay phones near where you have parked, in case you need to use them.
  • If you see any suspicious activity or individuals, please contact UCPD immediately when you feel safe to do so by dialing 9-1-1 or 642-3333 (from cell phones).

Contact Sarah Burns at  or on Twitter

MARCH 23, 2012