Hornets lack sting as Bears cruise to victory

The Cal women’s tennis team won an easy victory in its return home Friday, beating Sacramento State 7-0 at the Hellman Tennis Complex. After winning a closely contested doubles point, the No. 10 Bears (12-4, 4-0 in the Pac-12) cruised to victory, needing little more than an hour of singles play to clinch the decisive fourth point.

The Hornets (9-9) got an early leg up in doubles play, winning the third court match, but that would prove to be the visitors’ only winning effort. Cal’s top-court doubles partnership of Jana Juricova and Zsofi Susanyi revenged an October loss to Clarence Baca and Maria Meliuk with an 8-5 win that gave the Bears a 1-0 lead. The crucial moment of the match may have been a point given to Cal after Meliuk cursed; Juricova and Susanyi never relinquished the 5-4 lead that came as a result of the infraction.

Anett Schutting, playing on the third court, turned in one of her best singles performances of the season, bicycling Baca in a match that took less than an hour to complete. The win continues what has been a magnificent month of March for Schutting: the sophomore is 7-0 over the last three weeks, and has dropped only three games in her last three matches.

Schutting’s impressive 6-0, 6-0 victory was matched by Juricova, playing her first home match since missing over a month with a victory. Juricova’s seemed to barely break a sweat on the top court, hitting chalk on a wide array of shots, and keeping her opponent consistently out of position.

Even after the Bears had clinched the match, Susanyi battled back after dropping the first set to obtain her team-best 27th win of the year. The freshmen won a third-set tiebreak 10-7 over Rebeca Delgado to give Cal its second straight 7-0 victory.

The Bears have now won six straight going into their noon meeting with Washington State Saturday.