This Week in Sound: Rocket Juice and Thizz Faces

Rasputin Music/Courtesy

For you Cal students staying in Berkeley this week (or anyone who digs hip-hop), Bay Area legend E-40 will be playing a free show at Rasputin Music in Berkeley this Tuesday at 4 p.m. in honor of the release of his new album trilogy The Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil 1,2, and 3. The rapper will also be signing autographs, so make sure to stop by to join in on the album release festivities.

Honest Jons Records/Courtesy

This Tuesday also marks the release of Rocket Juice and the Moon’s self-titled debut album. The funk supergroup consists of Damon Albarn from Blur and the Gorillaz, Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and famed Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen.

Warner Bros. Records/Couresty

The Mars Volta will also be releasing Noctourniquet this week. This marks the sixth studio album by the experimental prog-rock group.

Local Limelight:

Angelo Ibanez/Courtesy

This week, we take a look at San Francisco’s Seeking Empire. Stitched together from members of Good Charlotte and Bay Area bands Mud, Phantom Kicks and The Lovemakers, Seeking Empire’s epic, distorted sound has sold out shows at Bottom of the Hill and garnered the group a spot for Live 105’s BFD festival this summer. The twisted yet sweet melodies of vocalist Nikki Aclaro blends smoothly with the band’s electric fury, such as here on “Caving In.”