Crime in Berkeley: March 25 — March 29

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Drunk in public arrest – 1500 block of Oregon Street
On March 25  at about 9:32 p.m., a BPD patrol officer responded for a second time that night to an apartment building in the 1500 block of Oregon Street. The calls were regarding an unwanted person who was not welcome but had returned after being warned not to. During the second call for service, the BPD beat officer and a cover officer detained the man. The man displayed impairment and an inability to follow directions. The officers could smell a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath, his speech was slurred, his eyes were blood shot and he had to lean on a pole to maintain his balance. The beat officer arrested the City of Oakland man for violation of 647 (f) PC – Drunk in Public.

Fraudulent use of a debit card — 2400 block of West Street
On March 26 at 11:44 a.m., a community member called BPD to report a fraud. He told the BPD officer that he had just received a notification from his credit union that a charge had been made using his debit card number in another city at an office supply store for over $210 worth of merchandise. The victim told the credit union that he did not authorize the purchase and that he has his debit card in his possession. The man wanted documentation and a case number.

Identity theft – 2000 Fourth Street
On March 26 at about 12:25 p.m., a Berkeley woman called BPD to report that she was the victim of Identity Theft. An unidentified suspect or suspects had used her personal information and bank account number to fraudulently charge over $2800 from her account. She told the BPD officer that she was checking her bank statements and noted four charges of over $700 each were made to an online catalog. She immediately closed her accounts and called to document the crimes.

Theft of dogwood branches – 2900 block of Pine Street:
On March 26 at about 10 minutes after noon, a Berkeley man called BPD to report a theft. Sometime overnight, an unknown suspect or suspects had cut at least four branches from a flowering dogwood tree in the man’s yard. He told the BPD officer who responded to investigate that this was the second time in two weeks that this typee of theft had occurred. The BPD officer examined the cuts and determined that they were clean, likely the work of a pruner or other like garden tool. The man said that he has seen similar dogwood branches with flowers on them for sale in flower stores so he believes the suspect is cutting and stealing the branches to sell them.

Residential burglary via unlocked garage – 1300 block of Francisco Street
Sometime between March 27 at about 9:30 p.m. and March 28 at about 8:00 a.m., an unidentified suspect or suspects burglarized a garage in the 1300 block of Francisco Street. The woman resident discovered the crime and called BPD to investigate and document the crime. The officer determined that the suspect had entered the backyard through an unlocked gate and got into the garage through an unlocked pedestrian door. The suspect(s) made off with an Apple laptop.

Residential burglary — 700 block of Hilldale Avenue
At about 4:00 p.m. on March 28, a community member who lives in the 700 block of Hilldale Avenue went outside to get the mail and noticed that the garage door was wide open. Upon further inspection, the woman noticed that approximately 48 bottles of assorted wine that were on some shelves inside the garage had been stolen. She called BPD and a patrol officer responded. She told the BPD officer that her husband left at 6:00 a.m. for work that morning and she had been home all day. She did not know if the garage had been left open. She told the officer who investigated and documented the crime that the total value of the wine was about $900.

Battery, vandalism and possession of less than 28.5 grams of marijuana arrest — 2300 block of Bancroft Way: Read more here.

View Crime blotter: March 25 — March 29 in a larger map

Soumya Karlamangla is the city news editor.