Man fatally shot in Berkeley, suspect arrested

Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff
A man was shot in front of Bobs Liquor, on the corner of Sacramento and Oregon.

A man was shot and killed Thursday evening in Berkeley, marking the city’s third homicide of 2012.

In what police say was a targeted shooting, multiple shots were fired at two men in South Berkeley, killing Devin Whitmire, 24, and leaving the other unhurt. Police are holding 18-year-old Randall Oscar Alston, who was arrested about 30 minutes after the killing, on suspicion of murder.

According to Berkeley police Lt. Kevin Schofield, a little before 7:30 p.m. Thursday, two men walked out of a store at the corner of Oregon and Sacramento streets when they were confronted by a group of people, at least one of whom had a firearm.

One of the people in the group allegedly began firing at the two men who had just left the corner store. The two began to run away when the shooting began, and although one avoided being hit, the other was shot multiple times, according to Schofield.

Around 7:30 p.m., the Berkeley Police Department received multiple reports of gunshots around the 2800 block of Sacramento Street, according to Schofield.

Officers who responded found Whitmire in the middle of the roadway. He was transferred to Highland General Hospital in Oakland where he was pronounced dead.

Schofield could not say whether the incident was gang-related.

As of 1:30 a.m. Friday, officers were still on scene investigating, according to Schofield.

Thursday’s shooting is the city’s second fatal shooting of 2012. The other was in January and also was in South Berkeley, in which a man was hit numerous times. There were also two other shootings earlier this month that were also days apart and both in West Berkeley.

There was one homicide in Berkeley in 2011.

View Shooting 3.29.12 in a larger map

Soumya Karlamangla is the city news editor.