Bears exact revenge on Longhorns, 12-2

Jan Flatley-Feldman/File
The Cal men's baseball team upended the Longhorns, 12-2, in the second of three meetings on Saturday.

After playing the gracious guest Friday, Cal got rowdy Saturday night and upended Texas, 12-2, in a dominant performance.

Led by the stellar pitching of starter Matt Flemer, Cal took control with four runs in the top of the first and never looked back. Texas didn’t score until the bottom of the fifth, when Cal already held a commanding 7-0 lead.

The Bears — who have often given up runs in the first inning this season and failed to recover — started out on the right foot at Dell Diamond. Cal’s first five batters in the opening inning reached base, a streak which included a bases loaded single by catcher Chadd Krist to plate two runs.

Cal tacked on two more runs in the second and another in the fifth, giving it an unassailable lead.

Krist led the Bears’ bats on the day, going 3-5 with three runs scored and five RBIs, including a home run and his 54th career double, the last of which put him in third place all-time in the Cal record books. Centerfielder Darrel Matthews went 4-4 and batted in two more runs, while designated hitter Vince Bruno went 3-5 and scored two runs. In all, the Bears rapped out 17 hits, six for extra bases.

Flemer scattered eight hits over as many innings, giving up just two runs to move to 4-2 on the season. Chris Muse-Fisher closed out the win with a perfect ninth.

The Bears’ defense succeeded in not committing any errors for just the fifth time this season. Cal has won every game in which it has not given up an error. Instead, the Bears were able to take advantage of three Texas miscues, converting them into two runs.

The 10-run victory came by the same margin as the Bears’ 13-3 loss Friday night in the series opener. Texas and Cal will lock horns in the rubber match Sunday at 1 p.m. central time.