Sample Sundays: X to the Streisand?

Columbia Records (Left)/Loud Records (Right)/Courtesy/Courtesy

What’s up people? Sample Sundays in effect again. No surprise there. Each and every week I got you. So, here is another one for you y’all to freak to, to break your neck when you turn your head and put your ears to the speaker to make sure you caught the sample.

Barbra Streisand – Pavane (Vocalise)
(Off of her album Classical Barbra, which looks classy as hell. I felt my “high-culture” street-cred, if such a thing exists, go up after listening to this. Sample at 0:28).

Now most of y’all reading this probably know Streisand for her role in Meet the Fockers as sex therapist Roz Focker. And the rest of you probably don’t know much of anything about Barbra Streisand at all. No worries though, I don’t know much either. What I do know is that Mrs. Streisand is the best-selling female artist in the U.S. with millions upon millions of records sold, she has won eight (count ‘em) Grammys, has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, she has multiple Emmys — basically Streisand is a boss. And after I found out about this sample, the one I’m about to drop on y’all, I think I’ll give her music a shot (numbers don’t lie, right?).

Xzibit – Paparazzi
(It doesn’t get anymore gangster — or cinematic — than rapping with an orchestra on the beach. And “scarred by the boulevard” is one of my all-time favorite rhymes).

That’s right, people, it’s “your man X to the Z, Xzibit.” It’s too bad most people only remember Xzibit for his unforgettable and ever-lampooned MTV show, Pimp My Ride. Because Xzibit happens to be one of the best MC’s from the West Coast. His first album At the Speed of Life, which contains the classic “Paparazzi,” is a must-own for any real hip-hop fan, especially if you live anywhere near Los Angeles. After his work with Tha Alkaholiks and King Tee, At the Speed of Life established Xzibit as a West Coast titan, and ever cemented his place in hip-hop history. The rest of his catalogue, which includes the platinum Restless and the gold Man vs. Machine, is well worth your bread and will knock the paint off your new pimped-out ride.

Bonus Sample:

As nearly every artist I cover here on Sample Sundays does, Xzibit deserves a bonus sample:

Funkadelic — Get Off Your Ass and Jam
(I’m pretty sure the song says it all. And when it’s Funkadelic, these demands should be met with a smile and a funky-ass two-step. Sample at 0:04 — also in one of my favorite A Tribe Called Quest jams. Any guesses?)

Xzibit — What U See is What U Get
(This is one of my favorite rap videos and favorite rap songs. Everything about this track and this video is flawless. Pick up 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz now. It won’t be nearly as difficult as it is for Xzibit to pick up some milk).

Peace y’all. Catch you again next week.