BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 27, 2022

Pedestrian injured after traffic collision in Berkeley

APRIL 04, 2012

A man was seriously injured in a collision between a car and a pedestrian Tuesday evening in Berkeley, according to police.

At approximately 7:58 p.m., the Berkeley Police Department responded to a collision at the intersection of Colusa and Marin avenues in North Berkeley, according to Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, spokesperson for the department. The pedestrian, a Berkeley resident, was injured.

According to a Monday email from Kusmiss, the driver — an older woman from Albany — was driving eastbound on Marin and made a southbound turn onto Colusa. The pedestrian was walking eastbound on the crosswalk of Colusa when he was struck by the car, according to Kusmiss.

The initial medical assessment “garnered great concern that the injuries could be potentially life threatening,” Kusmiss said in an email last week.

As of Monday, the pedestrian has been released from the hospital and is doing well, according to Kusmiss.

In late January, 18-year-old Berkeley resident Tyler DeMartini collided with a moving vehicle while riding his skateboard at the intersection of Marin and Tulare avenues. DeMartini later died in the hospital.

View Traffic collision 4.3.12 in a larger map

Contact Soumya Karlamangla at 

APRIL 09, 2012