UC Berkeley Graduate Assembly elects 2012-13 officers

The UC Berkeley Graduate Assembly elected its officers for next year at its Thursday meeting, with incumbent Bahar Navab reelected to serve as next year’s president.

Each election began with a brief forum to vocally nominate candidates. Navab was the only nominee for the position.

“What, nobody wants my job?” Navab joked. The assembly voted to go straight to election and skip a two-minute statement of candidacy from Navab.

Along with Navab, the following delegates were elected for positions:

• Assembly affairs vice president: Gordon Hoople, mechanical engineering delegate
  • Campus affairs vice president: Bianca Suarez, education delegate
  • External Affairs Vice President: Angelica Salceda, law delegate
  • Rules officer: Joanna Hernandez, law delegate
  • Funding officer: Patrick Baur, environmental science, policy and management delegate
  • Environmental sustainability officer: Autumn Petros-Good, energy and resources group delegate

The following delegates were elected to serve as Graduate Council representatives:

• Neil Sehgal, health services and policy management delegate
  • Dillon Niederhut, anthropology delegate
  • Heather Arata, city and regional planning delegate

The election of graduate student advocate — who assists members involved in disputes with the campus, among other responsibilities — was tabled until May.

“I think next year is an important year — we’re still facing tuition issues and fee hikes and the state budget is still unclear,” Navab said. “It’s important that we look around for creative solutions for revenue generation and continue to put pressure on the state for funding UCs.”

Geena Cova covers academics and administration.