BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

UCPD bomb squad responds to 'suspicious package' call in Mill Valley

APRIL 16, 2012

UCPD’s bomb squad responded to a call Thursday about a “suspicious package” that arrived at an office in Mill Valley, though the threat was later deemed a false alarm.

The Resource Renewal Institute on East Blithedale Avenue, which received the delivery Thursday, said the package was actually a forgotten purchase from the online store eBay.

“It was a strange package, and it had no note on it,” said Huey Johnson, president of the company.

Johnson said one of the employees ordered the item from eBay a while back, and it never came. The employee — whose name was withheld for privacy reasons — forgot about the purchase and did not recognize the parcel when it arrived.

UCPD spokesperson Lt. Eric Tejada said the bomb squad’s response to the call was “normal” and “routine” and per the mutual agreement pact between UCPD and the Mill Valley Police Department with suspicious packages. The latter department does not have an explosive disposal ordinance team to deal with bomb threats.

The incident was logged around 5:14 p.m. Thursday, with the bomb squad arriving around that time, he said.

Mill Valley Police Department was not available for comment as of press time.

“We went on with our day,” Johnson said.

Last year, the UCPD bomb squad responded to between 22 and 24 explosive disposal calls, about one-third of which were campus related, Tejada said.

Contact Weiru Fang at 

APRIL 16, 2012