UCLA surpasses UC Berkeley as most selective campus for Californians

UCLA was more selective than UC Berkeley for fall 2012 in-state applicants, data from the University of California Office of the President released Tuesday show.

Fall 2012 admissions rates for Californians applying to the Los Angeles campus stood at 17.7 percent this year, while the admission rate of Californian applicants to the Berkeley campus was 22.7 percent, according to the data. Both campuses admitted a lower percentage of in-state applicants than last year — last fall, UC Berkeley admitted 23.8 percent of California applicants and UCLA admitted 22.5 percent.

However, UC Berkeley had the lowest overall admissions rate of all the UC campuses for out-of-state, international and California students combined — 21.1 percent compared to 25.5 percent last fall. The campus saw an unprecedented number of applicants this year, with 61,695 students applying for around 13,000 spots, according to a Tuesday campus press release.

These lowered admission rates for California residents occurred as the UC admitted 43 percent more out-of-state and international students this year, continuing controversial efforts to use nonresident students’ heftier fees to mitigate the effects of decreased state funding.

UC Berkeley proved the exception to this by accepting fewer nonresident students this year than last year, dropping its nonresident acceptance rates to 17.9 percent from 30 percent last fall.

Meanwhile, UCLA accepted a greater number of nonresident students, but the campus’s nonresident acceptance rate declined from 35.8 percent last year to 30.3 percent this year because of a higher number of applicants.

Anne De Luca, associate vice chancellor for admissions and enrollment and acting director of undergraduate admissions, said in the press release that the lower acceptance rate for the campus reflects “the dramatic increase in applications (and) the high demand from California students, out-of-state students and international students.”

Geena Cova covers academics and administration.