No. 1 Bears roast Ducks in 8-1 win

The Bears brought new meaning to the term all-around victory.

The No.1 Cal softball team defeated Oregon in a bout that saw the Bears outhit the Ducks 7-4 and ace Jolene Henderson strike out eight batters. The game was the first in a three game series at Howe Field in Eugene, Ore. Cal (41-2, 21-1 in Pac-12) took down the No. 14 Ducks with a final score of 8-1.

Jamia Reid scored the first run off of a Jace Williams hit in the first. The Ducks then tied the game up in the third, but that would be their only score of the game. It would also be the only earned run for Henderson.

Immediately after, Cal loaded the bases and Frani Echavarria doubled, scoring all three runs. Echavarria then rounded the bases herself when Reid knocked a triple to left feid. Williams then got a second RBI with a double to score Reid. She added two more runs in the sixth when she slammed one over the fence, bringing her RBI total to four for the game.

The Bears saw a more dynamic offense than usual, as they methodically put players on base and hit them in. None of their usual power sluggers were central to today’s offense, and the defense was solid as usual behind Henderson’s steady hand. Henderson has only suffered one loss all year and was recently named as one of the top 25 finalists for the 2012 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year, alongside fellow Bears Reid and Valerie Arioto.