Arraignment postponed for suspect in police shooting

An arraignment for the main suspect in a shooting involving police earlier this month was postponed Monday.

Calvester Stewart is being held without bail on suspicion of attempted murder following an incident April 13 in which Stewart allegedly opened fire on police officers while fleeing from them.

Although Stewart’s arraignment that was scheduled for Monday afternoon at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland was postponed, he also had a hearing Monday morning at Rene C. Davidson Courthouse for an alleged probation violation.

On April 13 at around 10:30 p.m., Berkeley Police Officer John Ettare performed a vehicle stop on a red Jaguar near 7th and Addison streets in West Berkeley, according to an article by the San Francisco Chronicle.

The man, who police have identified as Stewart, later fled the vehicle stop to a nearby apartment on the 900 block of Delaware Street, according to Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, spokesperson for the Berkeley Police Department.

At around 10:40 p.m., officers identified Stewart inside the apartment and took surrounding positions outside, according to Kusmiss.

According to the Chronicle, police said that when Stewart emerged from the apartment, he repeatedly ignored police commands and proceeded to open fire on the officers with a .45-caliber semi-automatic handgun.

Several officers returned fire and missed, according to the Chronicle. Stewart then proceeded to go around the building and confront Officer Samantha Speelman at gunpoint, prompting Speelman to fire and wound Stewart, according to the Chronicle.

Stewart was immediately rushed to the hospital to treat his wounds, according to Kusmiss.

After treatment, Stewart was taken into custody and is currently being held in Santa Rita Jail in Dublin.

All officers who fired their weapons were placed on administrative leave as per department mandate, according to Kusmiss.

In addition to his scheduled arraignment, Stewart also had a hearing Monday morning at the courthouse for allegedly violating his probation.

Stewart’s probation was based on previous weapons charges, including possession of armor-piercing ammunition and a negligent discharge of a firearm in January last year, according to Kusmiss.

Berkeley police are still investigating, and the case will be presented for review and charging considerations to the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office by early next week, Kusmiss said.

In February, Berkeley police were involved in another shooting when a man they were pursuing in Castro Valley backed his car into another officer, resulting in the hospitalization of the officer with “serious leg and hand injuries,” according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

Stewart’s next court date is June 25, according to Deputy District Attorney Teresa Drenick.

Jonathan Tam covers crime.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Calvester Stewart had a hearing at Rene C. Davidson courthouse for a parole violation. In fact, it was a probation violation.