UCOP says that Yudof warning travelers to avoid May Day protests was false

Javier Panzar/Senior Staff
UC President Mark Yudof

A report that the University of California Office of the President sent a message to students, faculty and staff from all 10 university campuses providing advice for avoiding Tuesday’s May 1 Day of Action protests has been reported as false from UCOP.

The Day of Action, largely organized through members of the Occupy movement and workers’ unions, calls for a general strike from all economic activity in protest of budget cuts, underemployment and unfair wages.

According to a report by The Nation, a message titled “Avoid all protests” warned of transportation and business disruptions as well as possible scuffles with police.

The report stated the message was sent via Connexxus, the UC website that arranges travel accommodations for faculty, students, staff and hosted guests.

But Associate Vice President of Communications for UCOP Lynn Tierney said the office never sent such a message.

Tierney said the message actually originated from iJet, a company that provides corporations and organizations with risk management service and response solutions. iJet sent an email to all of its clients warning that demonstrations planned in cities across the country Tuesday could create travel problems.

“Someone took this message and said that it was directly from President Yudof about Oakland,” she said. “It’s a misrepresentation.”

As part of the international Day of Action, nurses at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in South Berkeley held a rally at 11 a.m. At UC Berkeley, Students for a Democratic University teamed with several other campus organizations to hold a noon rally at Telegraph Avenue and Bancroft Way, followed by a march to the Tang Center and then to the UCOP office in Oakland at 4 p.m.

Christopher Yee is an assistant news editor.