BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 29, 2022

Santigold: Master of My Make-Believe

MAY 02, 2012

It’s recess, and Santi White wants to play. She stomps, pounds on drums (Why are there drums in the schoolyard, you ask? Beats me.), echoes her voice magnificently  —  she’s itching to start a revolution.

It sounds far-fetched and in a way it is. One could even call it a game of make-believe. But I’m not pretending when I say that Santigold’s Master of My Make-Believe is the real thing. Like nonsilicone breasts, the album moves between perky, youthful enthusiasm and a ferocious maturity. Not only is Santigold master of her make believe, she’s intent on being the master of yours, too.

She presses the start button of a Sonic video game on the first track, “GO!” With harrowing rhythms reminiscent of a Mortal Kombat intro screen, the song races. It’s the coolest round of double dutch as Karen O’s reverberating, witchy croon plays second rope to Santigold’s vocals.

Her voice drips with all the bravado of a playground jump rope chant.

The album is split between eager gaiety — Santigold claiming her fierceness and status as head bitch in “Freak Like Me,” “Look At These Hoes” and “Big Mouth” —  and a more plaintive tone.

In “Disparate Youth,” she choruses, “We know now we were more / a life worth fighting for,” and her lament continues in “This Isn’t Our Parade,” which has all the rhythm of an EKG. Make believe the beat is Santigold’s very heart. Despite the cheesiness, it feels right to compare it to her heartbeat, as the song — indeed, the album itself — pulses with her joyous spirit.“These bitches ain’t fucking with me, killa,” she spits in “Look At These Hoes.”

A stadium roars over her bombast and laser squeaks.There’s no catch to her catchy beats — Master of My Make-Believe proves triumphant.

Contact Natalia Reyes at 

MAY 02, 2012