Yudof selects new chancellor for UC San Diego

UC President Mark Yudof has selected current dean of Carnegie Mellon University’s College of Engineering Pradeep K. Khosla to serve as the next chancellor of UC San Diego, he announced Thursday.

Khosla comes to UCSD after a tenure at Carnegie Mellon during which he successfully led efforts to double the college’s budget and nearly doubled the number of Ph.D. students at the school, according to a press release from the UC Office of the President.

“Pradeep Khosla will bring to UC San Diego a distinctive set of attributes that will enable the university to build on the excellence that has made it one of the top institutions of higher learning in the world,” Yudof said in a statement. “He is a time-tested, oft-honored researcher, an innovative educator dedicated to improving the quality of life for students, faculty and staff, and an entrepreneurial leader with a global vision and proven fundraising abilities.”

Khosla is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, a fellow of the Indian Academy of Engineering, an Honorary Fellow of the Indian Academy of Science and a Fellow of the American Association of Artificial Intelligence. He also sits on the boards of a number of nonprofit organizations, including The Children’s Institute and the IIT Foundation.

“In slightly more than 50 years, UC San Diego, under the leadership of Marye Anne Fox and her predecessors, has become one of the world’s top universities,” Khosla said in a statement. “I feel fortunate, humbled and energized to have the opportunity to contribute to that excellence while embracing the challenges of integrating world-class research with an undergraduate educational experience that will remain accessible to all, regardless of family income.”

The UC Board of Regents Committee on Compensation will act on the proposed appointment at its meeting on May 16, according to UC spokesperson Steve Montiel.

Curan Mehra covers higher education.