Second suspect charged in South Berkeley homicide

A suspect allegedly involved in a police shooting last month has been charged with the March 29 killing of Devin Whitmire.

The Berkeley Police Department announced Tuesday that Calvester Stewart, 19, has been charged with the alleged murder of Whitmire, 24. Whitmire was fatally shot on the night of March 29 at the corner of Oregon and Sacramento streets in South Berkeley in the city’s third homicide of the year.

Berkeley resident Randall Alston, 18, has also been charged in connection with the fatal shooting but pleaded not guilty to one charge of felony murder April 9 at the Rene C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland.

According to Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Teresa Drenick, Alston and Stewart are both being held in Santa Rita Jail in Dublin without bail.

Stewart is also the main suspect in an April 13 shooting involving police and is being held without bail on suspicion of the attempted murder of five police officers after he allegedly opened fire on the officers while fleeing from them, according to a press release issued by the Berkeley Police Department.

Stewart was booked into Santa Rita Jail for a felony probation violation stemming from the April 13 incident, according to the press release.

According to Drenick, Stewart appeared in court on April 23 for the alleged probation violation.

Stewart’s next court date for the murder charges is set for May 21 at 2 p.m., according to Drenick.

The complaint sheet from the Alameda County District Attorney’s office can be viewed here:

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.