Cal falls to Arizona in 3-1 loss

The Cal baseball team succumbed to a dominant pitcher Friday afternoon at Evans Diamond, falling 3-1 to No. 10 Arizona.

Despite taking a one-run lead in the first inning, the Bears had no answers over the next eight as Wildcats starter Kurt Heyer stymied the Cal bats for a complete game victory.

Cal (25-20, 9-13 in the Pac-12) started brightly, turning a hit batsman into a run in the bottom of the first without a hit. Left fielder Danny Oh led off the game by getting drilled in the back, then stealing second and advancing to third on an errant throw. First baseman Mitch Delfino brought him home with a sacrifice fly.

But that was pretty much all Cal could muster against Heyer, who at one point retired 12 Bears in a row. Cal didn’t manage a hit until the fifth inning, and Delfino’s sacrifice fly was the only ball that left the infield until the seventh inning.

With sharp command of his breaking ball all game, Heyer struck out nine Bears on the day. It was his fifth complete game of the season.

Cal’s five pitchers combined to perform well on the day, giving up only six hits. But pitted against the dominant Heyer, the Bears’ arms couldn’t keep the Wildcats’ bats in check. Arizona (31-15, 14-8) scored single runs in the third, fifth and eighth innings — more than enough to eke out the win.

The teams square off tomorrow at 1 p.m. in the second game of their three-game series.