Crime in Berkeley: May 28 — May 30

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Robbery via Gun and Possible Taser  Dana Street & Durant Avenue 
On Monday at about 5:45 a.m., a 21-year-old male was victim of an armed pedestrian robbery. He told BPD officers that he was walking north on Dana Street at Durant Avenue when he noticed a green Toyota pull up. The victim paid little attention as three Hispanic males got out of the back of the car. The three suspects walked up to him. One suspect pulled out a dark semi-auto handgun and demanded his property  a laptop, a cell phone and a wallet. A second suspect was holding a possible Taser type device. The third suspect stood by. The victim did not see the car drive away. The suspects then walked south on Dana Street towards Channing Way. The victim called BPD at approximately 5:51 a.m. BPD and UCPD officers did area checks but did not locate any similar cars of suspects. The victim was not physically injured during the robbery.
The victim described the suspects as:
Suspect #1 “Hispanic Male Adult, 20s, 6’2-6’4” tall, wearing black jacket, blue jeans and a black Lakers baseball cap carrying a dark semi automatic handgun.
Suspect #2 – “Hispanic Male Adult, 19-20 years old, 5’8” tall, wearing a grey sweater holding a black Taser like weapon.
Suspect #3 “Hispanic Male Adult, 20-years-old, 5’8” tall, wearing a grey sweater and unknown pants acting as a possible look out.

Auto Burglaries x 14 (9 listed)  City of Berkeley
On Monday between 10:20 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., BPD officers documented fourteen (14) auto burglaries that occurred around the city. In each case, the suspect or suspects smashed a window and stole valuables that community members or visitors left in their parked cars.

10:20 a.m.      Harold Way/Allston Way            window smash           computer
12:06 p.m.      Marina/Hotel parking lot            window smash           backpack, computer, cameras
12:09 p.m.      2300 block of Bancroft Way        window smash            gym bag
12:32 p.m.      2300 block of Bancroft Way        window smash            tablet computer
1:34 p.m.        1200 block of 5th Street                window smash            cell phone
1:51 p.m.        2300 block of 4th Street                 window smash           laptop, cameras, backpacks
1:54 p.m.       2300 block of 4th Street                  window smash           iPad tablet
2:03 p.m.       2300 block of Browning Street     window smash             backpack, computer, headphones
2:04 p.m.       Shattuck Avenue/Addison Street  window smash          iPod

Possession of Loaded, Concealed, Stolen Gun & Ecstasy  San Pablo Avenue & Channing Way 
On Tuesday at about 11:51 p.m., a BPD patrol officer made a traffic enforcement stop of a Pontiac at San Pablo Avenue and Channing Way. There were three men in the car. The BPD officer did a records check and found out the driver was active to probation of a gun violation. During a probation search of the driver, the officer and his cover officers found a loaded, concealed 38 special revolver in the driver’s waistband. The officers confirmed that the gun had been stolen in Tuolumne County. During a search incident to driver’s arrest, the officer also found ecstasy in driver’s waistband. BPD arrested the suspect driver for possession of a concealed and loaded firearm, possession of a stolen firearm, possession of a firearm in violation of the terms of probation, possession of ecstasy and a probation violation. The BPD officer booked the 27-year-old Oakland man into the BPD Jail.

Residential Burglary to Garage via Door Smash  900 block of Creston Road
On Tuesday at about 1:13 p.m. a woman resident called from the 900 block of Creston Road to report a burglary. She told the BPD officer that a suspect or suspects smashed the door of a detached garage door while she was away from the home and made off with blue Samsung front load washer and blue Samsung front load dryer as well as a screen room divider made of red wood with three paper panels.

Catalytic Converter Thefts x 3  1900 block of Napa Street  
Between Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. and Thursday an unknown suspect or suspects stole three catalytic converters from three Toyota trucks parked on the 1900 block of Napa Street. The suspect or suspects responsible employed a combination of pipe cutting and unbolting to accomplish the thefts.

Grand Theft of Specialized Road Bike  Euclid and Hearst Avenues 
On Wednesday at about 1:09 p.m. a 30-year-old Berkeley man called BPD to report the grand theft of his $2,700 road bike. He told the patrol officer that he locked his Specialized brand bicycle with a U-lock and cable lock to the bike rack at the northeast corner of Euclid Avenue and Heart Avenues at approximately 11:40 a.m. When the man returned to the rack at about 12:30 p.m., the bike and bike locks were gone. The bike owner/victim gave the BPD officer the bike serial number to enter it into the Automated Property Service (APS) as stolen. The bike is a Specialized brand, Roubaix Comp, 58 inch frame, black and white with a hub lock on the front wheel.

View Crime in Berkeley May 28 — May 30 in a larger map

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.