Councilmember Jesse Arreguin elected to Democratic Central Committee

Berkeley City Councilmember Jesse Arreguin was elected to the Alameda County Democratic Party Central Committee as the representative for the 15th Assembly District in Tuesday’s presidential primary.

Arreguin, whose official term will begin in January 2013, was selected to a two-year term on the nine-person committee, which originally had six seats but expanded to nine following an increase in the number of registered Democrats in the county.

“One of the things I want to accomplish is increasing outreach to students, young people, people of color and increase their involvement in the Democratic Party,” Arreguin said. “We need to make sure the committee reflects the diversity of the county — we need to increase engagement and registration of these communities.”

Arreguin, who has been an associate member of the committee since February, said he was excited that fellow UC Berkeley graduate Andrew Kelley, current president of the East Bay Young Democrats, was also elected to the committee for the upcoming term. He also said that he and other young members of the committee could try to increase the voice of young Democrats in the local party.

“I am building on work that has been done in terms of using social media and technology in order to better communicate and engage Democrats in the work we do,” he said. “I want to be able to advocate and support progressive candidates and measures to make sure we are moving the Democratic party in a more progressive direction.”

The central committee — which meets once a month and oversees the party’s local endorsements, campaigns and adopts official positions on behalf of the California Democratic Party — is the governing body of the county Democratic Party, made up of representatives from each of the assembly districts in the county. The 15th District includes Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Piedmont and North Oakland.

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.