ASUC signs memorandum with university regarding Lower Sproul

The ASUC signed its third memorandum of understanding on May 24 with the UC Board of Regents regarding the upcoming renovation of Lower Sproul Plaza, an agreement that clarifies moving and space issues with campus student groups involved in the impending renovation.

The current memorandum outlines use of the Cal 1 Card debit payment for all ASUC commercial activities, the future location of current facilities and auxiliary space to the renovated Lower Sproul plaza and defines 24-hour access of Eshleman Hall to student groups, among other agreements.

According to the memorandum, in addition to finances already allocated to the project from the annual ASUC Auxiliary Budget, approximately 30 percent of the 1988 Student Services Building Project Referendum Fee will continue funding ongoing maintenance of Lower Sproul Plaza. Approximately 70 percent of the referendum will go to fund any future maintenance and student activities of the project, as outlined in the original fee referendum.

Two previous memorandums were signed between the ASUC and the university in April 2010 and June 2010 that decided how student fees would be delegated to the Lower Sproul project.

The ASUC also signed and renewed its Commercial Activities Agreement with the university on May 25, which gives responsibility and operations of the Lower Sproul project to the ASUC Auxiliary and the ASUC Commercial and Student Services Board. The agreement also allows the auxiliary and the board to operate the campus Student Union.

According to incoming ASUC Executive Vice President Justin Sayarath, the agreement had outdated names of different campus departments and also allows the future Center for Advising and Leadership to be designated a student activity like the Office for Student Affairs.

“For the Commercial Activities Agreement, a lot had to be updated,” Sayarath said in an email. “There were all kinds of appendices and the whole agreement really highlighted the lack of trust between students and the campus.”

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.