Man hospitalized after car crash in West Berkeley

A man was hospitalized Tuesday morning after a car crash caused him to flip his car near Berkeley Fire Station 6 in West Berkeley.

The man was heading westbound on Cedar Street in his small pickup truck when he collided with a woman in a car heading northbound on Eighth Street at approximately 9:55 a.m., forcing his car to turn on the side of the road, Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Mary Kusmiss said.

While the Berkeley police responded to reports of the crash, a group of recruit firefighters and instructors who were training at the nearby fire training academy heard the crash. They were on scene “within seconds and called for additional assistance from truck companies and an ambulance,” said Berkeley Fire Department spokesperson Gil Dong. The firefighters used blocks to stabilize the car to prevent it from falling over before providing first aid treatment to the man’s significant arm injury.

Emergency crews that arrived on the scene shortly thereafter removed the man from the car and transported him to a local trauma center. No other injuries from the crash were reported.

The Berkeley Police Department Traffic and Parking Bureau is currently investigating the collision and has not yet resolved which driver was at fault.

“It is too early to determine fault,” Kusmiss said in an email. “However, during the preliminary investigation at the scene, officers determined that alcoholic beverage or drug impairment do not appear to be a factor in this collision.”