Regents appoint new provost for UC system

UCLA/Courtesy

The UC Board of Regents voted Tuesday to appoint Aimée Dorr, current dean of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, as the new UC provost and executive vice president for academic affairs.

Dorr’s appointment concludes a search that began in November 2011, with the formation of a 15-member advisory committee consisting of faculty, students and administrators. Following a brief closed session Tuesday, the regents held a special teleconference and voted unanimously to approve Dorr’s appointment.

Dorr, who will begin her tenure as provost on July 2, had been previously selected by UC President Mark Yudof from a group of finalists chosen by the advisory committee. Yudof submitted his recommended nominee to the regents at their May board meeting in Sacramento.

“As UC provost, she will serve as the system’s chief academic officer and lead efforts to ensure the academic excellence of UC’s 10 campuses during a time of unprecedented fiscal challenges,” states the official UC press release.

Dorr began working as a UCLA professor of education in 1981, before becoming the co-chair of the campus’s academic preparation and educational partnership programs in 1999. She has also held leadership positions within the UC system, as the former chair and vice chair of the UC Academic Senate and faculty representative to the Board of Regents.

“Between senate service and being the dean, I have considerable familiarity with the structures (of the office) and what’s going on,” she said.

UC student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein, who was a member of the advisory committee that vetted Dorr and other candidates, said he was happy with the regents’ decision.

“(Dorr) has done amazing things on diversity throughout her term as dean,” Stein said.

At UCLA, Dorr focused on equity, access and multiculturalism and helped advance the diversity of the faculty, students and staff of the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, according to a letter released by UCLA Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott Waugh.

Dorr will receive an annual salary of $350,000, the same as her predecessor, Lawrence Pitts, who announced his retirement in September. Her salary will be more than 20 percent below the market median of $439,000, according to the UC press release.

When asked about UC budget woes, Dorr said it was something that had to be worked on.

“At the same time, I want to be sure we’re working on moving ahead and addressing new, important issues,” she said. “We can’t stand still or cut back.”