BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Cal rowers to compete in international meet

JULY 08, 2012

As the Olympics roll around every other odd-numbered summer, anything less than a berth in the world’s biggest championship can be a disappointment.

Instead, two members of the Cal women’s crew team will compete at a different international competition.

Sophomores Rosie Popa and Agatha Nowinski were named to the U.S. Under 23 National Team on Thursday, honors that will take them to Trakai, Lithuania from July 11-15 for the World Rowing Under 23 Championships.

“I’m really proud of Aggie and Rosie,” said Cal coach Dave O’Neill. “Racing at U23s has been a goal for both of them, and it’s great to see them make it happen.”

A year after winning the quad sculls in the B final at last year’s championship, Popa returns to take part in the women’s pair. Recent Cal graduate Kristina Lofman competed in pairs last year, finishing fifth as a member of Norway’s team.

Nowinski takes over Popa’s event from last year: quad sculls. An All-Pac 12 selection this year, Nowinski is taking part in her first Under 23 Championship.

Both Popa and Nowinski were members of Cal’s varsity eight last year, which finished fifth at this year’s NCAA Championships. The Bears finished third overall at NCAAs.

Contact Chris Yoder at  or on Twitter

JULY 08, 2012