Lloyd named alternate for Olympic team

Former Cal setter Carli Lloyd was named an alternate for the U.S. Olympic indoor volleyball team, one of the youngest players named to the sqaud.

Former Cal standout Carli Lloyd was recently named an alternate for the U.S. Olympic indoor volleyball team. While Lloyd likely won’t see action in London’s Games, her designation as a replacement setter speaks to her future with the U.S. program.

The 22-year-old Lloyd has the least amount of professional experience of all 12 players and eight alternates named.

The No. 1-ranked U.S. team is deep but aging at the setter position. Olympic setter Lindsey Berg will be 32 when she reaches London, while fellow setter Courtney Thompson is nearing her 28th birthday.

Down the road, Lloyd will foreseeably receive much competition from 23-year-old setter Alisha Glass who was also named an alternate. Glass won three consecutive national titles with Penn State during her collegiate career, and has one year of professional experience on Lloyd.

Lloyd, the 2010 AVCA National Player of the Year, joined the pro ranks in January 2011 just a month after propelling Cal to the national title match for the Bears’ best-ever finish. She quickly caught attention with the national team, starting four of five games in last October’s Pan American Games and taking home a bronze medal.

The Bonsall, Calif., native has spent much of her post-graduate career playing for Yamamay Busto Arsizio, a club team in a prestigious Italian league. With Lloyd at the helm, the squad won the regular season title and CEV Cup championship this spring.

The American team heading to London includes five former Pac-10 players — two from Washington, two from Stanford and one from USC. The reserves list includes two more players from Stanford, the only Pac-10 representatives besides Lloyd.