Crime in Berkeley: July 1 — July 5

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley from July 1 — July 5, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Vandalism — 2200 Block of Dwight Way 

On July 1, at approximately 9:56 p.m., vandalism was reported in the 2200 block of Dwight Way.  It was reported that two unknown suspects were spray painting the side of a local business.  The suspects were gone when the officer arrived and an area check was negative.

Auto Burglary — 1800 Block of Francisco Street

On July 1, between 1:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 1800 block of Francisco Street.  An unknown suspect forced entry into the victim’s vehicle stealing electronic items.

Robbery Via Gun — 1500 Block of Milvia Street

On July 1, at approximately 9:42 a.m., a robbery via gun occurred in the 1500 block of Milvia Street. The victim was walking in the area when he was approached by the unknown suspect. The suspect pointed a gun at the victim and demanded his property. The suspect fled after getting the victim’s property.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Black male, 25-30 years old, 6’ tall, 240 lbs, black short hair wearing baby blue long sleeve shirt, khaki pants and black backpack.”

Noise Reports  San Pablo Park

On July 1, at approximately 6:30 p.m., Berkeley Police Department officers responded to a report of loud reports at San Pablo Park. Officers arrived in the area and determined the loud reports were fireworks.

Noise Disturbance  2900 Block of Mabel Street

On July 2, at approximately 9:38 p.m., a noise disturbance was reported in the 2900 block of Mabel Street. A resident reported a group being loud and playing basketball in the street. The group was gone when officers arrived on scene.

Auto Burglary  1600 Block of Shattuck Avenue

On July 2, at approximately 4:55 p.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 1600 block of Shattuck Avenue. The unknown suspects broke a window to the victim’s vehicle and stole personal property. The suspect fled the area in a possible green van.

The suspects are described as:

Suspect #1 – “White male, 17 years old, 5’8” tall, medium build wearing a black hat and a black hooded sweatshirt.”

Suspect #2 – “Black male, 20 years old.”

Vandalism — 1900 Block of San Pablo Avenue

On July 2, at approximately 7:00 a.m., a vandalism incident occurred in the 1900 block of San Pablo Avenue. The victim parked his vehicle in a parking lot. An unknown suspect slashed the victim’s tire.

Auto Burglary  Intersection of Derby Street and Hillegass Avenue

On July 3, at approximately 5:45 p.m., an auto burglary occurred near the intersection of Derby and Hillegass Streets. The victim’s vehicle was parked in the area.  The victim returned to her vehicle and discovered her personal belongings missing. The suspect is unknown.

Auto Burglary  2900 Block of Acton Street

On July 3, at approximately 4:45 p.m., a victim reported her catalytic converter stolen from her vehicle in the 2900 block of Acton Street. The suspect is unknown.

Residential Burglary  1700 Block of Stuart Street

On July 4, at approximately 1:00 p.m. a residential burglary occurred in the 1700 block of Stuart Street. An unknown suspect entered the residence, possibly through an unlocked door. The victim had personal items and cash taken.

Residential Burglary  400 Block of Spruce Street

On July 4, at approximately 7:38 p.m., a resident in the 400 block of Spruce Street reported their garage burglarized. The unknown suspect prowled the interior of the garage as well as the victim’s vehicles.

Nuisance  2400 Block of Dwight Way

On July 4, at approximately 4:52 a.m., officers were dispatched to a loud party in the 2400 block of Dwight Way. Officers were able to locate the party.  The party was deemed to be a nuisance, so officers shut down the party.

Residential Burglary  2600 Block of Claremont Avenue

On July 5, at approximately 5:37 a.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 2600 block of Claremont Avenue. BPD officers responded to a report of an audible alarm, and it was discovered the burglary occurred.  The suspect is unknown.

Report of fighting incident  1600 Block of Russell Street 

On July 5, at approximately 7:15 p.m., officers were dispatched to a report of a group fighting in the 1600 block of Russell Street. Officers arrived in the area and were unable to locate any of the involved parties. The incident was closed as being unable to locate (UTL).

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.