BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 28, 2022

UC could face mid-year tuition increase if tax initiative fails

JULY 10, 2012

The UC system could see a 20.3 percent mid-year tuition increase if Gov. Jerry Brown’s tax initiative fails to pass when voters go to the polls this November.

According to next week’s UC Board of Regents meeting agenda, if the tax initiative does not pass on the November ballot, a mid-year tuition increase is likely. This would also mean the proposed tuition increase buyout in the recently passed state budget would not be available for the upcoming school year, creating a $125.4 million gap, for a total shortfall of $375.4 million for the UC system.

“This would bring the total funding cut by the State in a two-year period to $1 billion, an overwhelming amount in a very short time period,” the agenda item of the regents’ Committee on Finance states. “Therefore, it may be necessary to consider a mid-year tuition increase of 20.3 percent effective January 1, 2013 … if that were to occur, mandatory systemwide tuition and fees would rise from $12,192 in 2011-12 to $14,670 in 2012-13.”

The item also states the budget package adopted by Brown last month includes a provision for the UC to receive another $125.4 million in 2013-14 not only if the tax initiative does not pass, but if the board votes to not increase the mandatory systemwide tuition and fee increases for 2012-13.

The board will convene next Wednesday and Thursday at the UC San Francisco Mission Bay campus for its regularly scheduled July meeting.

Contact Anjuli Sastry at 

JULY 10, 2012