BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

UCPD recovers 39 stolen computers in Mulford Hall theft

39 computers recovered by UCPD, which were stolen from Mulford Hall last week.

JULY 20, 2012

UCPD has recovered 39 computers stolen from Mulford Hall last week in a series of recent computer thefts on campus.

The computers were stolen in two separate incidents from the building, first on July 12 between 1 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. and then sometime between 3 p.m. on July 14 and 8 a.m. on July 15, for a loss of about $37,700.

UCPD Capt. Margo Bennett said police learned in their investigation of the stolen property that a computer matching the description of the Dell computer towers stolen from Mulford was being sold on an Internet sale site. Police identified two suspects through the sales posting — a UC Berkeley student and a male unaffiliated with the campus.

Police received consent to search a home and  vehicle, at which point they recovered 39 computers, which “constitutes most, if not all, of the Mulford computers,” according to Bennett.

According to the UCPD crime log from Thursday, the student was identified as junior transfer Esther Rojas-Soto, 22, who works in Mulford Hall. Bennett said Rojas-Soto was detained Thursday and then released the same night.

The other suspected individual is unaffiliated with UC Berkeley, according to Bennett.

In both burglaries, entry to the building was gained through breaking a glass window, but police did not know how the suspects were able to enter the locked rooms where the computers were housed.

Bennett said UCPD is still continuing its investigation.

A similar burglary took place recently at the Foothill Residence Hall library between 11:20 p.m. on July 10 and 2 p.m. on July 11, when 10 laptops were stolen from the library after suspects gained entry to the room through an unsecured screen in an open window on the south side of the building. In this incident, the burglary amounted to a loss of $4,000.

The Foothill break-in does not appear to be related to the burglaries at Mulford Hall, as the laptops have not yet been recovered.

The total number of burglaries on campus in 2011 was 36, according to Bennett. There have already been 32 burglaries so far this year. As a result of the recent increase, Bennett said UCPD is increasing patrols on campus.

Corrections: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Esther Rojas-Soto was a graduate student. In fact, she was an incoming junior transfer student.

Contact Adelyn Baxter at 

SEPTEMBER 25, 2014