Crime in Berkeley: July 15 – July 19

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley from July 15 — July 19, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Vehicle Vandalism – 500 Block of Arlington Avenue

On July 15, at 8:14 a.m., several vehicles were discovered vandalized along Arlington Avenue. It appeared the unknown suspect(s) damaged the vehicles by shooting the windows with a BB or pellet gun.

Armed Robbery – Ashby Avenue and Benvenue Street

On July 15, at approximately 11:40 pm., a robbery via gun occurred near the intersection of Ashby Avenue and Benvenue Street.  The unknown suspect approached the victims while he was walking in the area.  The suspect pointed a gun at the victims and demanded their property. The victims complied and turned over their property.  The unknown suspect was last seen going east on Ashby Avenue.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Unknown race male, 5’10” tall, thin/athletic build wearing a black mask, black hooded sweatshirt and black pants.”

Auto Burglary – 100 Block of Seawall Drive

On July 16 between 11:30 a.m. and 1:36 p.m., an auto burglary occurred in the 100 block of Seawall Drive.  The unknown suspect broke the window to the victim’s vehicle removing several items, including a backpack.

Strong Arm Robbery – Haste Street and Bowditch Street

On July 16 at approximately 7:40 p.m., a strong arm robbery occurred in the area of Haste Street and Bowditch Street.  The victim was walking in the area when she was approached by the unknown suspect. The suspect forcibly grabbed her property from her hand and then fled to a waiting vehicle. The vehicle was last seen going north on Bowditch Street.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect #1 – “Black male, 40-50 years old, 5’7”-5’8” tall, medium build, dark complexion wearing black baseball hat, black zippered hooded sweatshirt and baggy jeans.”

Suspect Vehicle – “Possible White Honda Accord”

Auto Burglary  2000 Block of Bancroft Way

On July 18 at approximately 12:00 a.m., the victim reported an unknown suspect broke the window to their vehicle.  The vehicle was parked in the 2000 block of Bancroft Way.  The unknown suspect took several items from the vehicle.

Residential Burglary  900 Block of Hilldale Avenue

On July 18, sometime after 8:00 p.m., a burglary occurred to a garage in the 900 block of Hilldale Avenue.  The unknown suspect entered into the garage area and stole several items.  The unknown suspect went through the interior of the garage and vehicle parked inside.

Auto Burglary – 2500 Block of Regent Street

On July 18 at approximately 9:50 p.m., the victim contacted police reporting their vehicle burglarized in the 2500 block of Regent Street.  The unknown suspect broke a window to the vehicle and stole an electronic device.

Suspicious Fire Investigation – University Avenue and Bonar Street

On July 19 at approximately 2:53 a.m., BPD officers responded to the 1200 block of University Avenue for a report of a chair on fire.  BPD personnel arrived on scene and located a small fire.  The officers were able to contain the fire until the Berkeley Fire Department arrived on scene and handled the incident.  It is unknown who may have set the fire and there is no suspect information.

Auto Burglary – 1000 Block of Gilman Street

On July 19 at approximately 5:30 p.m., the victim reported an unknown suspect broke the window to their vehicle.  The unknown suspect took money and the victim’s bag from the vehicle.

View Crime in Berkeley: July 15 – July 19 in a larger map

Anjuli Sastry is an assistant news editor.