Team USA swimmers want you to call them, maybe

Team USA is expected to dominate the majority of the swimming events on both the men’s and women’s side. The squad certainly makes for a good story: the buildup of the Michael Phelps – Ryan Lochte drama alone is the sports-world equivalent of a Chris Nolan panel at Comic-Con.

But Team USA possesses a hidden talent unbeknownst to the rest of the world – until now, that is. In a video posted earlier today the squad lip-syncs its way through Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” in London’s Olympic Village.

Real talk, the team’s attempt at performance art is pretty terrible. But this is ‘Merica, and even when we’re bad, we’re still endearing.

Good news for Cal: seven current or former Bears are on Team USA’s roster. Current senior Caitlin Leverenz “directed” the choreography in the airplane sequences – though the entire scene looks a little fish-out-of-water. Recent grad Nathan Adrian, who already has a gold from Beijing under his belt, gets an adorable close- up at the 1:47 mark.

Call Me Maybe” has got to be the most addicting song of summer 2012. The single couples horrific lyrics with an irresistible hook – the surefire formula to guarantee a song will get stuck in one’s head. It’s the YOLO of the music world, and it’s been copied more times than a Sparknotes summary of The Odyssey. Call me a traitor to my Bears, but I’m far more partial to the Harvard baseball team’s version.

But hey, the hook is catchy. And it’s not like you need another excuse to glimpse those swimmers’ bods.