Olympics wrapup: Day four

Andrew Kuo/Staff
Caitlin Leverenz won a bronze medal in the 200 IM, becoming the fifth Cal athlete to medal in London.

First and foremost, although he’s not a Cal alum it bears mentioning that Michael Phelps became the most decorated Olympian in history after winning his 19th career medal. He anchored the men’s 800 free relay that won gold.

Also, the U.S. women’s gymnastics team captured gold for the first time since the Magnificent Seven pulled off that feat in 1996. Girl power.

Now onto the Bears.

Swimming:

Caitlin Leverenz scored bronze in the 200 IM with a final time of 2:08.95. She became the fifth Bear to earn a medal at the London Games.

Nathan Adrian qualified for the finals in the 100 free with a split of 47.97. Adrian now holds the second fastest time in the event, behind Australia’s James Magnussen (47.63). He will compete in the final on Wednesday at 12:20 p.m.

Women’s Soccer:

Alex Morgan recorded an assist to Abby Wambach as the United States defeated North Korea, 1-0. With the win the U.S. team captured the Group G title and, for the first time in its Olympic history, earned all nine points in the group stage. The United States now advances to the quarterfinals, where the team will face New Zealand.

Morgan will find a familiar face squared off on the other side of the pitch: Cal’s Betsy Hassett, now a member of the New Zealand national team. New Zealand blanked Cameroon, 3-0 to advance to the quarterfinals. The United States and New Zealand will face off on Friday, Aug. 3 at 6:30 a.m.

Men’s Water Polo:

Aleksa Saponjic notched a goal for Serbia in a preliminary round water polo match against Great Britain on Tuesday. Saponjic also nabbed a steal as the Serbian national team went on to slaughter the hometown team, 21-7. Serbia holds a 2-0 record thus far in the Games.

Meanwhile, John Mann also added a goal for his the U.S. water polo team. The United States narrowly edged out Romania, 10-8, and will advance to the next round as well. The U.S. team record currently stands at 2-0. Both Serbian and the U.S. are in Group B.

Rowing:

Cal’s Julie Nichols and her partner Kristin Hedstrom represented America in the women’s lightweight double sculls. The duo won its repechage with a time of 7:13.82 — the best time from both the day’s repechages, actually — and advance to Thursday’s semifinals. Incidentally, the duo is also coached by Cal’s own head coach, Dave O’Neill.

Men’s Basketball:

Max Zhang is the tallest player in Cal men’s basketball history. That’s a pretty cool stat. And as it stands now, it’s probably the one he will still want to cling to, seeing as to how the Chinese national team — of which Zhang is a member — lost its second game in a row. China fell to Russia, 73-54, and now holds a 0-2 record in Group B. China’s next match will be on Thursday, Aug. 2 against Australia.

And as a parting gift, here’s a look at what is arguably the best moment in Olympics history. Not only was this the greatest display of American athleticism and teamwork, it’s also the best sportscall of all time. Consider it a little motivation to get you through the work week. Do you believe in miracles? Because at the Olympics, anything can happen.