Olympics wrapup: Day six

Rowing

Erin Cafaro and the U.S. women’s eight team captured gold for the sixth straight year. The United States held off Canada by two thirds of a length at the finish.

Julie Nichols and partner Kristin Hedstrom came in fourth in the semifinals of the women’s lightweight double sculls with a time of 7:12.61. The duo is coached by Cal’s own coach, Dave O’Neill.

Will Dean and the Canadian team came in eleventh overall in the semifinals of the men’s four with a time of 6:08.90.

Swimming

Anthony Ervin qualified for the final of the men’s 50 free with the third-fastest time (21.62). The finals will take place on Friday.

Jessica Hardy finished eighth in the women’s 100 free and failed to medal.

Milorad Cavic qualified for the men’s 100 fly with the fourth-fastest time (51.66). Less than a second shy of the third-place contender, Cavic has a legitimate shot at a medal in Friday’s final.

Lauren Boyle qualified for Friday’s 800 free finals with a time of 8:25.91.

Water Polo

Aleksa Saponjic and the Serbian national water polo team played a high-intensity match against Montenegro earlier on Thursday. The match ended with an 11-11 draw, with Serbia now topping Group B. Saponjic notched an assist in the tilt between the world’s top water polo juggernauts.

Six years ago, the two countries separated. Even now it’s emotional for those who used to be compatriots and teammates to square off on opposite ends of the pool.

Meanwhile, John Mann grabbed a point for the United States water polo team in its 13-7 victory over Great Britain.

The U.S. and Serbia will do battle on Saturday.

Basketball

Max Zhang and the Chinese basketball team continued to lose, this time to Australia, 81-61.

The U.S. team, meanwhile, continues to dominate a la the Monstars in the seminal basketball hit, Space Jam. ‘Melo notched a staggering 37 points in 14 minutes, and the team walked away with an unbelievable 156-73 win (that final number is a new Olympic record as well).¬†At this point, with the gold medal basically theirs for the taking, the U.S. men almost seem to be using the international competition as offseason practice. I guess that’s more productive than Blake Griffin’s internship at Funny or Die during last year’s lockout…