Bears announce 2012-13 schedule

A battle of brainy schools, a trip to Madison, Wisc., and four other matchups against teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament last year highlight the Cal men’s basketball team’s regular season schedule released Friday.

The Bears’ 31-game regular season slate includes 16 home games — four of which will be against teams that advanced to the NCAA Tournament. After traveling to Big Ten country to take on Wisconsin, a team which missed a spot in last year’s Elite Eight by a point, Cal will take on UNLV, Creighton and Harvard as part of a five-game homestand at Haas Pavilion in December, though the Dec. 29 game against the Crimson will take place over winter break.

Cal will play each Pac-12 team twice except for Washington, Washington State, Arizona State and Arizona.

The Bears open their home slate on Nov. 6 against San Francisco State. Cal opens the Pac-12 season in January with a pair of games against the L.A.’s Pac-12 schools before opening the home conference slate on Jan. 9 against Washington.

The regular season concludes with the Big Game against Stanford on Mar. 6 at Haas. Cal will also take on Stanford on Jan. 19 at Maples Pavilion.

Since the Cal women’s team typically plays Pac-12 opponents on the same day as the men on the other team’s court, the Cal women’s Big Game at Haas will likely occur before classes begin in January.

The Cal men finished last season 24-10 and second in the Pac-12, securing one of the final at-large bids to the NCAA Tournament, but fell to South Florida in a flat 65-54 first-round loss.