Former Cal quarterback named radio commentator

Former Cal quarterback Mike Pawlawski was named Cal’s football radio analyst on Friday, replacing Troy Taylor, who called games for seven years before resigning this offseason.

Taylor, another former Cal quarterback who remains the school’s all-time leading passer, resigned to become the co-head football coach for Folsom High School.

Like Taylor, Pawlawski enjoyed success on the gridiron, leading the Bears to bowl victories in 1990 and 1991, including a 37-13 win over Clemson in the Citrus Bowl on New Year’s Day 1992. The Bears finished the season No. 7 and No. 8 in the coaches poll and the AP poll, respectively.

“Football is what I do,” Pawlawski said. “I like to describe the game in a way so people listening to the broadcast can understand it. I like to give them my insight and translate it into English to help them recognize what’s happening on the field. I try to give them the insights that they can’t see, the things that they may not be looking for.”

Pawlawski fizzled out after one year in the NFL, turning to the Arena Football League to resurrect his career. His six-year stint in the AFL ended in 2001.

Cal plays its first game of the 2012 season on Sept. 1 against Nevada. The game will be broadcast on KGO 810 in San Francisco.