UC Berkeley enrolls fewer out-of-state students, more underrepresented minorities

The percentage of out-of-state students enrolled in this year’s freshman class at UC Berkeley decreased while the percentage of underrepresented minorities increased, according to enrollment data released Thursday by the campus.

Out-of-state enrollment decreased to 24 percent of the class, compared to 30 percent last year. This is the first time in at least three years that the percentage of nonresidents enrolled has decreased. Freshman underrepresented minority enrollment increased for the second year in a row, jumping from last year’s 14.3 percent to about 16 percent this year.

The decline in nonresidents enrolled in this year’s freshman class is reflective of the campus admitting fewer out-of-state students. In March, the campus admitted about 12 percent fewer international and about 13 percent fewer domestic out-of-state freshman applicants than it did the year before due to the unexpectedly high number of nonresidents who enrolled in fall 2011.

Two years ago, campus officials began efforts to increase the proportion of nonresident students to 20 percent of the total campus undergraduate student body. Reaching this target would generate $60 million in additional revenue per year for the campus, according to a fall 2010 interview with Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost George Breslauer. Nonresident students pay close to $23,000 more in tuition and other fees than in-state students.

Last year, nonresidents constituted about 16 percent of total undergraduates. According to campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore, that number is expected to remain the same this year.

Between 2007 and 2010, the percentage of underrepresented minorities enrolled in incoming freshman classes decreased — dropping from 15.2 percent of newly enrolled freshmen in 2007 to 13.9 percent in 2010, compared to about 16 percent this year.

“We are very pleased with the increase; it speaks to the excellent preparation of the applicants and their understanding that Berkeley is an outstanding institution at which they can achieve their educational dreams,” said Anne De Luca, associate vice chancellor of admissions and enrollment, in an email.

The percentage of minority students — which includes black, Hispanic and American Indian students — among newly enrolled transfer students also increased from 20.7 in fall 2011 to about 26 percent this fall.

“It truly is a campus-wide effort of many individuals and offices, as well as community organizations that create the positive result,” De Luca said in the email.

Afsana Afzal is the lead Academics and Administration reporter.