BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Police locate dogs responsible for attack on young girl

AUGUST 27, 2012

Police have located the owner of two dogs that attacked a young girl near University Village in Albany Thursday night.

Based on the information gathered on the dogs’ owner following the incident, in which a 6-year-old girl playing near a soccer field adjacent to the property was bitten by two dark brown pitbulls not on a leash, police met with Contra Costa County Animal Services at the owner’s home in Richmond, where the owner surrendered the dogs to animal control.

Witnesses to the attack ran over and pulled the dogs off the girl, who sustained multiple puncture wounds and was taken to Children’s Hospital & Research Center in Oakland for treatment, according to police.

The dog bites “did not seem to be a provoked attack,” said UCPD spokesperson Capt. Margo Bennett.

As of press time, there is no further information on what will happen to the dogs.

No charges have been filed against the owner at this time, though potential charges would be filed through UCPD because the dog bite was in their jurisdiction, Bennett said.

“It would be up to our officers to write the case report and the investigation and submit it to the district attorney’s office,” she said.

Contact Weiru Fang at 

AUGUST 27, 2012