UC Berkeley sees slight fall in Washington Monthly rankings

UC Berkeley dropped in ranking from third to fifth in the Washington Monthly’s national university rankings between 2011 and 2012.

The ranking report, which was released Monday, uses a method that considers the recruitment and graduation of low-income students, the availability of research opportunities and how engaged students are in community service, among other factors.

The Washington Monthly gave UC Berkeley a score of 87, 11 points lower than last year’s score of 98. UC San Diego came in first in the national university rankings, receiving a score of 100 for the third year in a row. This year’s other top-ranking national universities include Texas A&M University, which placed second, and Stanford University, which placed third.

A total of four UC schools were ranked in the top 10 of the 2012 national university report, one fewer than the previous year, after UC Davis’ ranking fell from eight to 17. The number of UC campuses in the top 100 has also dropped in the newly released national rankings, from eight to seven.

UC Berkeley placed fourth for the second year in a row in the 2012 Academic Ranking of World Universities by Jiao Tong University in Shanghai.

The report, which ranks 500 universities worldwide, ranked the campus behind Harvard University, Stanford and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. While UC Berkeley’s score did not change from 2011, it has fallen since the 2010 rankings, in which the campus placed second. Six other UC campuses have also been ranked in the top 100 universities worldwide, including UCLA, UC San Francisco, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis and UC Irvine. Two others, UC Riverside and UC Santa Cruz, have been placed in the top 150.

Unlike the Washington Monthly report, the world ranking uses a rigorous numbers game to compile the final list, which considers factors such as research performance, prominent researchers, notable alumni and staff and the number of papers published and indexed by the university.

Brittany Jahn covers higher education. Contact her at [email protected]