Crime in Berkeley: Aug. 19 — Aug. 25

The following is a sample of crime in Berkeley this week, provided by the Berkeley Police Department.

Trespassing, 2200 block of Carleton Street

On Aug. 19 at 10:52 a.m., a trespasser was reported in the 2200 block of Carleton Street. An officer arrived at the location and located a male subject trespassing. The subject was issued a citation for trespassing under the Berkeley Municipal Code.

Robbery, 1800 block of Solano Avenue

On Aug. 19 at approximately 6:00 p.m., a robbery was reported in the 1800 block of Solano Avenue.  A business reported the unknown suspect entered and took several bottles of alcohol.  The suspect left the business without paying for the items. The suspect was confronted by a loss prevention officer outside of the business. The suspect then used force against the officer, by trying to strike him. The suspect fled the area, taking the merchandise with him.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Black male adult, 6’3″ tall, 200 lbs., shaven head wearing a red t-shirt, tan cargo pants and carrying a turquoise backpack.”

Loud Reports, 400 block of Grizzly Peak Boulevard

On Aug. 20 at approximately 11:22 p.m., residents in the 400 block of Grizzly Peak Blvd. reported hearing possible gunshots. Neighboring agencies were also getting calls of loud reports. Officers checked the area and were unable to locate the source. No injuries or damage were reported to BPD.

Commercial Burglary, 3100 block of Shattuck Avenue

On Aug. 20 between 12:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. a burglary occurred in the 3100 block of Shattuck Avenue. The unknown suspect appears to have made entry through a patio door to the business. The suspect stole a television and cash from the business.

Suspicious Noises, 2300 block of College Avenue

On Aug. 21 at approximately 9:39 p.m., officers responded to a resident complaint of strange noises in the 2300 block of College Avenue. The resident reported possibly hearing the sounds of someone walking on the roof of a building currently under construction. Officers arrived and the location and checked the roof. The officers did not find anything unusual or find persons.

Robbery, Adeline Street and Russell Street

On Aug. 21 at approximately 1:38 p.m., a robbery occurred in the area of Adeline Street and Russell Street. The male victim was walking in the area when he was approached by two unknown suspects. The victim was knocked to the ground by one of the suspects. The suspects stole the victim’s cell phone.  The suspects then fled the area. The victim was not physically injured during the incident.

The suspects are described as:

Suspect 1 – “Black Male, 16 to 18-years-old, 5’6″ tall, thin wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, black jeans and a black Chicago Bulls snap-back hat.”

Suspect 2 – “Black Male, 16 to 18-years-old, 5’6″ tall, athletic build wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and black jeans.” 

Suspicious Circumstances, 2000 block of Kittredge Street

On Aug. 22 at approximately 3:45 a.m., officers responded to a report of glass being broken in 2000 block of Kittredge Street. An officer arrived and checked the area. The officer did not locate any damaged property or broken glass.

Auto Burglary, Fourth Street/Bancroft Way

On Aug. 22 at approximately 11:02 a.m., an auto burglary occurred near the intersection of Fourth Street and Bancroft Way. The victim parked and locked his vehicle near the intersection. As he started to walk away he heard the car alarm going off. He turned to see the unknown suspect walking from his vehicle carrying several items. The suspect got into a yellow corvette and drove off. The victim discovered his car stereo and some clothing missing.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Asian Male, 20 to 30-years-old, goatee, receding hair line, 5’10” tall, 220 lbs. wearing a black shirt and jeans.”

Berkeley Municipal Code Violation (BMC), Skate Park, Harrison Street

On Aug. 23 at 2:14 p.m., a city employee reported bicycle riders inside the skate park on Harrison Street. Only skateboarders are permitted in the park. An officer was dispatched to the location and contacted three riders. The riders were asked to leave the park.

Vandalism, 2300 block of Howe Street

On Aug. 23 at 11:15 p.m. a report of vandalism occurred in the 2300 block of Howe Street. The victim reported hearing a loud crash from in front of his resident. When he went to investigate he discovered that an unknown suspect damaged the several fence panels.

Loud Reports, 2200 block of Curtis Street

On Aug. 24 at approximately 11:30 p.m., a resident in the 2200 block of Curtis Street reported hearing a loud report. Officers responded to the location. After speaking with people in the area, officers determined it was fireworks.

Carjacking, 2500 block of Benvenue Avenue

On Aug. 24 at approximately 7:55 p.m., a carjacking occurred in 2500 block of Benvenue Avenue. The adult male victim was waiting in his vehicle for a friend. The victim was approached by the unknown suspect, who was armed with a gun. The suspect ordered the victim out of the vehicle. The victim fearing for his safety got out of the vehicle. The suspect fled the area taking the victim’s vehicle. The stolen vehicle is a gray, 2006, Pontiac, GTO, two door.

The suspect is described as:

Suspect – “Black male, early 30s, 5’10” tall, medium complexion, muscular build wearing all dark clothing.”

Person Down, Dana Street/Parker Street

On Aug. 25 at approximately 10:46 p.m., a caller reported a person down near the intersection of Dana and Parker Streets. A BPD officer arrived on scene and located the male subject. The officer advised that the subject appeared to be intoxicated and needed medical assistance. The Berkeley Fire Department was called to assist the subject. BFD transported the subject to a local hospital for treatment.

Recovered Stolen Auto, 2900 block of Seventh Street

On Aug. 25 at 10:44 p.m., a security guard reported a suspicious vehicle parked in the 1900 block of Seventh Street. The officer arrived and located the vehicle unoccupied. A record check on the vehicle showed it had been reported stolen in San Francisco. The officer contacted the victim and informed them the vehicle was located.  The vehicle was towed for safekeeping until the owner could pick it up.

From BPD: Please note that these are Calls For Police Services (CFS) only and are subject to review and reclassification.  These CFS numbers only reflect part one crimes reported to BPD.  The numbers reflected in the report are only a snapshot of what occurs in the City of Berkeley.  The numbers are considered for informational purposes only and should not be used for data analysis or comparison to other agencies.  Cases may be reclassified after further review of the incident, by supervisors, investigating detectives or the District Attorney as appropriate. 

View Crime in Berkeley: Aug. 19 — Aug. 25 in a larger map

Adelyn Baxter is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected].